Sunday, December 7, 2008

First Birthdays

I see on the Internet that it is below zero windchill at our Minnesota home. Now I remember why we flee South this time of year! My bones ache in the sun, imagine me in the deep freeze.

On Saturday Dennis and I experienced a warmth that had nothing to do with the temperature. Our precious granddaughter, Reese Elizabeth Kottke, celebrated her first birthday. It is probably more accurate to say all the adults celebrated it for her. I am sure that as far as Reese was concerned it was just a day when the house filled with people, she got to wear a pink tu-tu and a silly head bow, and sugar was everywhere.

Poor Reese. She is already, well let's politely say, an active child. She has never had much sugar. She dove into a cake of her own that her Grandpa Tom baked for her (at her mother's request). Laura was heard to say, "This is my child on crack!" There were no naps that day and bedtime was quite protracted.

Reese really didn't have a chance with her blood lines from the Creighton, Lewis, and Zinn families. Each family can claim rather hyper souls. I leave out Kottke because her grandpa Gail Kottke is at times the only source of calm at a gathering of the families.

Laura and Jens worked very hard and had a wonderful celebration. I told Laura how much I remembered Laura's first birthday and wondered if she remembered it. She said, "Well of course not." My response was, "My point exactly. Let's relax a little bit!"

Dennis and I once again resisted the urge to buy a metal drum set for Reese (we already passed on it for grandson Will). I know I will not be able to hold out much longer. There is such a sense of fun in providing non-stop obnoxious noise to the households of one's children.

Aside from all the fun, the blessings of the day cannot be overstated. Just as when we were with Rob and Rebekah and Will, I stood again in wonder at God's gift of healthy happy children and the amazing blessing of grandchildren. Here Reese stood at the culmination of her first year on earth. She was loving, happy, eager, and nonstop observant of everything around her. To pause just a moment to take in the wonder of our own gift of life through the eyes of a child is truly one of the most humbling yet beautiful experiences of adult life. It holds a lesson that we all could use in these times of the worldwide mess we older folks have made.

As have parents and grandparents since the dawn of time I yearn for something better for all children. I wish we could all pause for just a moment, capture the beauty and wonder of our world through the eyes of a child. Perhaps we could then recommit ourselves to do our part in these difficult times ahead to contribute to the solution, not the problem, and commit to leave to all the children a planet and its humanity on the mend.

Blessings this season to all people of goodwill regardless of the faith you chose to celebrate. And blessings to all of you who during this season choose to look once again at a world and its promise through the eyes of a child of hope who came to us so many centuries ago. Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas to you all. I hope you can rejoice in your many blessings.

1 comment:

Denna and Terry O'Connell said...

Here, here to the blessings of children. I look into Brady William's eyes at 9 weeks old and say "Tell Grandma what you need Brady and I will buy it, just tell me!" OMG they are beautiful and wonderful and a true creation of God. The infamous they always said,"Wait until you have grandchildren; there is nothing like it!" I now know what they mean. I wish I could have enjoyed my own children at the same rate I enjoy this gift, but then that's the oxymoron isn't it "Youth truly is wasted on the young"!>