Friday, March 27, 2009

Key West Casts Its Spell




The laid back attitude that is the mystery of Key West can frustrate the casual visitor, not to mention the infiltration of the souls of all who stay here very long.

More than one tourist, used to living their lives while running in place with a cell phone attached to their ear, has gone mad waiting for service at any number of Key West locations. And don't even try to order a medium skim latte' with a touch of cinnamon, extra hot, double cupped, extra shot, with a few drops of butterscotch on the top.
You are likely to be greeted by a muffled "uh ha", and after he finishes his cell phone call, about 10 or 15 minutes later (you are the only person in the coffee shop), the drink maker/cash register operator/kitchen cleaner/t-shirt salesman will likely serve you a small, tepid, single-cupped whole milk latte, and walk into the back room before you can scream at him.

More than one New York City vacationer has been seen pounding their heads on the counters of various establishments in this lovely city.

Well, I must report that the spell has settled into my inner core. Dennis' daily question, "So, what do you have planned today," is now greeted by a blank stare from me. My mental acuity has plummeted to the level of sleeping through church. I wonder if this is dangerous.

Yet, I struggle to my computer to catch up on my blog before any number of friends starts leaving nasty emails on my Gmail account. You know, the old "Hello, is anyone there?" type emails. So I will catch you up.

We are in a wonderful, small RV resort. Grass, large lots, cement pads to park our rigs, with the owner living right on the property makes for a wonderful time. We moved our motor coach a couple spaces down and are right next to my sister Melodie and David. Our front window is about 10 feet from a bay on the Atlantic Ocean. We look out across the Atlantic. Except for the airmen and women from the nearby Boca Chica naval air base who take it as their personal responsibility to strafe us a couple times a day with low flying, sound barrier-breaking jets, everything else if fine.

We are right over the bridge from Key West. Melodie and David ride their bikes almost daily onto the island to exercise and picnic. Dennis and I did that once, but prefer a short trip up the keys to access Dennis' personal find--an abandoned flat road into the mangroves, ponds, and beauty of the Atlantic coast. I would tell you where it is, but I would have to kill you.

The local shrimp boats bring us fresh shrimp, the best in the world. David and Dennis may soon publish a book, "1000 ways to prepare fresh Key West Shrimp." We are eating very well.

In spite of our affinity for great food and drink in Key West, both Dennis and I are trying to lose weight. Although we could truthfully report success, I will refrain until it actually is visible to friend and foe alike.

Laura, Jens and Reese arrive soon. Hurray! We head to Ft. Lauderdale to see "Jersey Boys" (the musical) in a couple weeks. Laura, Sarah and Reese come back after that, followed shortly by our brother Bob and his wife Mary. April is going to be a wonderful feast of family. We are thrilled.

Oh no, I feel Key West whispering in my ear, "What the hell are you doing? You should be napping or just reading a book in the shade." See, it can creep up on you at any moment. Unfortunately, I feel myself succumbing again.

So for now I am going to have to s a y ................ g o o d b.........................

No comments: