Thursday, November 20, 2008

Fish on!



It only took a mere gesture toward the ocean for Jens to convince Dennis that it was time for some fishing. Ever the first to personally sacrifice for my family, I stayed home with my grand daughter (and Laura). Thirty mph winds (Dennis claims they were only 20 mph) and waves to match versus time with grand daughter/daughter. . .you do the math.

Little did I know that a monumentally historic event would unfold during my absence from the high seas. After all these years Dennis had a virginal experience.

Yes, Dennis caught his first sailfish. This one was actually as big as Jens and Dennis described it (not a common occurrence with their fish stories). It lived and was returned to the ocean, as are all of the fish they catch. The struggle to land it in the boat lasted a half hour with all the appropriate fish-flying-out-of-the-water that the Learning Channel would show. I am not sure if the rest of the winter even matters to Dennis. He is scouring the T-shirt shops of South Florida for just the right shirt with a picture of a sail fish, hoping it will start conversations with perfect strangers.

As for the plastic ring in his lap, he insists it is to hold the fishing pole. I really did not want to know any more than that.

We triumphantly returned to Key West for a five day visit. No one seemed to notice. Well one did. Our favorite check-out man at Publix Grocery asked where we had been. "Away for the summer" seemed to suffice. "How time flies," he added. "Doesn't it, though?" pretty much wrapped it up.

We came to Key West to join and support our dear friends Jack and Gail in a memorial service for their son, Jes. Aside from the joy of being with them again, the rest was very, very sad. Yet, the sailing ship they had selected and the setting afloat of Jes's ashes just as the sun dipped below the horizon could have been the most beautiful memorial service we have ever experienced. I do not know how a parent survives the loss of a child. Jack and Gail are our heroes in love, courage, and compassion. It was one of those seldom in life honors to be asked to be a part of the celebration of Jes's far too short life. Although you may not know them, please keep them in your prayers.

More good friends, Charlene and Michael (of Boccie ball team fame) also came to our rescue and allowed us to join them in their beautiful home (and guest cottage) perfectly located on Fleming Street in Old Town Key West. We are so blessed to have friends from whom we can be apart for months (or years) and just pick up where we left off when we reunite.

How does one act upon returning to a tourist destination where you no longer live after years of making it your home? Dennis just walks, visits, drinks his con leche (among other adult beverages) and enjoys the place. I, of course, slip into an existential exploration of feelings. Am I a tourist? Am I still kind of a local? I feel at home, but this is no longer my home. I love our new winter life on wheels. However, I am still one of those plants that can sprout roots even without soil.

Well, hope you enjoy following us as Dennis finds yet another fishing mountain to climb, and I nurture that old rollin' stone that gathers no moss that must be somewhere inside of me. Hell, if I can figure out how to blog, I can do anything, right?

2 comments:

GG said...

Okay Dennis. I am one up on you with 5 sailfish caught and landed on the fishing trip with the kids in Ixtapa. And I didn't even wear a tee-shirt to brag about it. Did you even know that happened? See how quiet I am about such things. Regarding the ring in your lap, it's too small for anything BUT a fishing pole.
GG

Oldkat said...

How come we get a picture of the sailfish, but nothing of the grandbabies? Okay, I know guys have their priorities, but we grandmas need our "Oooh!" moments, too. :-D